Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Rose Chintz

Thanks for your sweet comments and well wishes. I'm not feeling any better, yet. But I'm an optimistic. Doctors are going to find what's wrong, they just need a little time, since it's nothing as easy as the flu. I kind of wish I had the flu...

Among my health problems, I must confess an addiction, an addiction to English china.

Parmi tous mes petits problèmes de santé, il y a une dépendance assez prononcée pour la vaisselle, surtout la vaisselle anglaise. Je l'entretiens au lieu de la soigner en cherchant de nouveaux services sur le Bon Coin.

To find cheap but beautiful things, I use a French Internet website of classified ads.

 

A few weeks ago,  I found someone who wanted to sell a Johnson Bros Rose Chintz teaset, in a little harbour town located ten minutes away from The Little White House. I sent an email and the next weekend I was knocking at the seller's door to see the tea set. 

Il y a quelques semaines un magnifique service à thé, le célèbre Rose Chintz de Johnson Bros, était en vente dans le petit port situé à quelques minutes de chez moi.


She had a very modern flat. The living-room (the only room I saw) had a white leather sofa, black coffee table and a huge poster of a double-decker on a wall. When I saw the teaset on a very modern glass table, it was whispering "take me home, take me home, I don't belong here". 

L'appartement dans lequel je suis allé le voir était très moderne, canapé en cuir blanc, table basse noire laquée et poster géant d'un bus londonien sur tout un pan de mur. Le service des années 40 n'y était pas à sa place et il me suppliait de l'emporter loin  de là.



Trying not to look too interested I asked "Don't you have any dessert plates?" "Oh, I have all kind of plates if you want to see them!" Of course, I wanted to see them. The glass table was too small and on the floor the lady put 19 dinner plates, 5 soup plates, a covered vegetables dish and some serving plates, along with the dessert plates I had asked for. 

D'un air aussi détaché que j'ai pu, j'ai demandé à la vendeuse si elle n'avait pas les assiettes à dessert assorties. Et là, elle me sort des assiettes à dessert, des assiettes plates, des assiettes creuses et des plats!


I knew it was stupid to buy that when the whole house is still in renovation, so I told myself, if she asks for 150 euros, I'll say "no", pretty sure that she would ask for a lot more and that this would seal my fate! 

J'étais déchirée entre l'envie d'avoir ce service et la pensée qu'il fallait économiser pour la rénovation de la maison... Mais finalement, je n'ai pas résisté à la tentation. J'ai même exposé une partie du service sur mon buffet entre deux phases de travaux! C'est la trêve hivernale pour les gros travaux en ce moment!


"How much?" I asked with a too high-pitched voice (it happens whenever I get nervous). "110 euros, is that too much?" I didn't even bargain. Everything was in my car before she could change her mind.



Because it's winter, the renovation is on hiatus for a little while, so I decided to display my new purchase on my dining-room buffet... Please keep in mind the dining-room isn't done at all. The walls aren't even painted since some of them needs to be entirely redone!


The picture was taken before tea became forbidden to me... And I really hope this won't be a life-long thing!

Les photos ont donc été prises avant que je ne sois interdite de thé! J'espère juste que cette interdiction, due à un problème de santé, ne sera pas pour toute la vie!

If you want to make fun of me, you can try to see in the above pictures: the weirdly placed phone plug, the untrimmed and unpainted door, the weird and to be changed molding on the buffet... This is a house in renovation!

Do you have an addiction to anything decoration-related?

See you soon for the recipe of this banana cake à-la-Magali you can see in the pictures.



I'm partying with:
Cottage Style Party at Lavender Cottage Garden
Tuesday Teacup at Martha's Favourites
Be Inspired at Elizabeth & Co
Winter Blues Wednesday at DIY by Design
Home at Rose Chintz Cottage
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time
Home and Garden at A Delightsome Life
Welcome Home Wednesday at Vintage On A Dime
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Time Travel Thurssday at  The Brambleberry Cottage
Home Sweet Home at The Charm Of Home
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Pink Saturday  at How Sweet The Sound
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Everything but the Kitchen Sink at Funky Junk Interiors


happythumb                     How Sweet the Sound


34 comments:

  1. Dear Magali,
    I hope you are well. If the doctors cannot find out the causes of the illness. Maybe ask your soul, maybe it's energetic/aura thing.

    I am in such an envy that you can always find things with reasonable price, and not needing to pay for postage. The set looks stunning in your display table.

    Is it ok to drink Rooibo tea because it's without caffeine. And it's full of iron.

    Take care of yourself,
    Felicity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! I was just given an entire set of this china by my aunt & cousin. I have already had 2 tea parties / luncheons using these dishes. They lend themselves to so many table-settings . What a wonderful find for you, of course they belong in your home!

    I hope the doctor finds what ails you and recovery is quick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ton service est vraiment magnifique ! En ce moment il y a un service Sarreguemine sur Leboncoin à Dinard qui me fait de l'oeil... Je résiste, mais pour combien de temps ?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved the story behind the tea set.. it's beautiful.
    hope you're feeling better soon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite post so far - as I love teasets. The rose chintz is collected here in the USA and you see it in all the antique malls. Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage collects it (http://sandimyyellowdoor.blogspot.com/) She lives on Prince Edward Island.

    I only have a coffee pot that I had given to my mother in law many years ago and when she passed it was given back to me. It is up on top of my cupboards in the kitchen .
    Have fun arranging and rearranging your pieces!

    Also, will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been on holidays so I am just catching up on your posts. I love love LOVE this set. I also love that covered bowl. Lucky you. It looks really sweet on your hutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad to hear that you are not feeling well Magali. Sending positive vibes your way and hoping you figure it all out.

      Delete
  7. Hi Magali,
    So sorry you're not feeling well. Hope you feel better soon.
    You know, I have a whole set of the Rose Chintz and I adore it! I started to collect it years ago and my aunt added to it for me as she had received the set for a wedding gift many years ago. I so enjoyed looking at your pictures. It's such a gorgeous pattern and reminds me of warm sunny days in the garden. Thanks for sharing and feel better soon. You are more than welcome to link your lovely post up to either of my parties; HOME or Tea Time Tuesday.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear you are unwell, hope they get to the bottom of it and that you are feeling much better very soon. Loving your new china, what a bargain and in such good order too!
    Take care,
    S.A.L

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful dishes! I had to smile when you were describing the purchase of the dishes. I would have felt the same way. I've recently started collecting red transferware dishes and found a partial set at a very reasonable price. Very happy smiles! Praying you will be better soon.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking to my Tuesday "Friends Sharing Tea". I have another blog link party tomorrow called Open House which is anything about home! I am really enjoying your blog in Britany and hope you will be feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the dishes and I love imperfection in older homes.

    I have addiction to pillows, china, and cute bowls. I store six or seven sets on the shelves of my bookcases in the music room. In my kitchen are my every day, cafe-style dishes. At least I know I do, so I haven't bought any in years. Though my daughter gave me some new bowls for Christmas.

    My daughter is obsessed with Alice and she has two Alice in Wonderland tea sets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic find (and a bargain!) Well done. I hope you feel better soon. Take care. Chel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magali...thank you for stopping by my blog and the sweet comment about my violet teapot! I was thrilled to visit you and find that you live in France! How romantic....and I love your cottage...:) As to the question above....I seem to be addicted to lots of things, but mirrors and lamps are probably the biggest addictions...:) I am a follower now and look forward to visiting again!

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful post. I love reading the Fracais as well-- as my French is very rusty but I enjoy practicing! Beautiful tea set!
    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great story about a great find! I can feel you holding your breath while you waited that one second as she began to state the price! My voice would have been high too lol!
    It is delightful that you found such a great set of dishes for such a good price! It is a beautiful set!
    The dishes look beautiful on your lovely china cabinet.
    Thank you so much for joining in Tea Cup Tuesday! Yay!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely story and the most beautiful tea set! I also have a weakness for older plates etc. Your blog is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How have I missed your lovely blog! I found you on Rose Chintz Cottage (!) and am so glad I did. I am addicted to china as well. I inherited from my mom. My sweet husband always asks"but where will you put it?" In his dresser drawers if must be! So sorry you are not well and I will be praying for your recovery. What a find. The rose chintz is one of my favorites. I love it on your pretty china cabinet. Of course we are joining you beautiful blog. We would love it if you would check us out and join us.

    Warm wishes,

    Linda and Jeannie at The French Hens Nest

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Magali,
    Oh my, Rose Chintz sure does make my heart go pitter pat! No matter how often I see it, it still affects me the same way! Thank you for linking your lovely post to my HOME and have a wonderful weekend. Hope you are feeling well soon.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Magali - hope you're feeling better soon !!!
    That is a gorgeous set - whether you can drink tea or not - it's a beautiful thing
    to look at while drinking water lol
    Have a good weekend - relax - you should be taking time off work you know
    Big hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very pretty on your beautiful hutch! Hope you are feeling better so you can enjoy your weekend!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  21. You made the right decision in purchasing all this lovely china.

    ReplyDelete
  22. all so very pretty! happy pink saturday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ohhhhhh...that set is just so beautiful, Magali! I would'ave snapped it up, too! I'm sure it's much happier on your beautiful buffet. I hope that you're feeling better soon, girlie!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  24. OOO, how lovely the tea set...and how lucky to find them.
    They look as tho they were made for YOU. :)
    and...I also LUV Banana bread....:)
    Over from Charm

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful set, I love every single piece, I am just starting to build my collection, great site, inspiring and full of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My daughter would love your blog - she is a former French teacher! I speak a little and can get by, but I am not sure that I would feel comfortable commenting in French. I, too, love English china and I have the accent dinner plates in your pattern. I cannot believe that fabulous bargain that you scored! It is lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful teasets and they are such a lovely display. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is definitely a fantastic find - a terrific deal - Love Rose Chintz! I'll be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful new set of dishes! hope you are feeling better soon! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can imagine that the tea set is much more at home in your cozy cottage. I am not a fan of the modern style so i would have been wanting out, myself. Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  31. trop de la chance,
    je n'ai encore trouvé que quelques pièces mais je ne désespère pas
    peut être un jour, j'aurais cette surprise de dénicher la même chose que toi!
    Odile

    ReplyDelete
  32. You possess the incredible ability to make readers both think deeply and smile wholeheartedly. Your posts are a treasure trove of insights, leaving us richer with knowledge after each visit. Your content is a delightful dance of creativity, leaving a trail of joy in its wake. waterproof tarp Your dedication to crafting quality over quantity is truly commendable and greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I never thought about this topic in that way before. Your article has given me a new perspective, and I appreciate the fresh insights. Well-written and well-researched! The references provided add credibility to the information presented. Kudos on a job well done. Tarpaulin Sheeting

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.