Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Sweet Tooth

A Little White House Christmas - 8 -


I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Thanks to all of you who left me sweet and concerned messages: I finally made it to my grandma's very late on Christmas Day, too late to do anything, so my whole family had an other day of celebration on December 26th, so I could give them my presents!

J'espère que vous avez tous et toutes passé un agréable Noël. Merci à tous ceux qui m'ont laissé de gentils messages, suite à mes mésaventures: j'ai passé le jour de Noël dans le train pour finalement arriver chez ma grand-mère tard dans la nuit. Et nous avons tous refait une petite fête le lendemain pour que je puisse distribuer mes cadeaux!


I've noticed that most bloggers have already got rid of their Christmas decor; but for me and my family, Christmas time only stops after the Twelfth Night, on January 6th. So if you're not too fed up with my Christmas posts, I still have one more thing to share with you. 

Beaucoup d'auteurs de blogs se sont déjà débarrassés de leur décor de Noël, mais dans ma famille, il est de tradition de le garder jusqu'à la nuit des rois et donc, si vous le permettez, j'ai encore un petit article sur Noël à partager avec vous.

My grandma lives in Ardèche in Southern France. It's the area in pink, marked 07, in the map.

Ma grand-mère vit en Ardèche, c'est pour cela que c'est un peu long d'aller la voir depuis ma Bretagne...


As far as I can remember, when visiting my grandma for Christmas, we would eat "bugnes". They are made of dough, cut in irregular squares, that are fried in oil (like a doughnut) and then covered in sugar. They are only made for Christmas in this area and to me, they taste of Christmas!


Depuis toujours, lorsque j'arrive chez ma grand-mère à cette période de l'année, des bugnes m'attendent. Ces carrés de pâte irréguliers, frits et couverts de sucre, ont pour moi un goût d'enfance: en Ardèche, on n'imagine pas passer un Noël sans!


I brought back some to my parents', who spend Winter in their flat near Versailles. That's where the pictures were taken.


J'ai rapporté quelques unes de ces douceurs chez mes parents, qui passent l'hiver dans leur appartement en région parisienne. C'est là que j'ai pris ces quelques photos pour vous faire saliver!


Even if I only a had a very short time in Ardèche for Christmas and only a few days at my parents' for the last night of the year, I did manage to visit a few things and I may have taken a few pictures for you that I'll share later...


Now, if you don't mind my being a little mushy, I'd like to thank all of you for reading that little blog during its first year. I really had fun writing for you and reading your comments. 

I hope you have lots of dreams for the new year and that your wishes will be fulfilled!


Si vous me permettez d'être sentimentale un court instant, je voudrais remercier tous les lecteurs qui se sont arrêtés sur ce blog en sa première année d'existence. Lire vos commentaires est toujours un plaisir!

Je souhaite que votre année soit pleine de rêves et que vos voeux se réalisent!

See you soon for new adventures at the cottage!

A bientôt, avec de nouvelles aventures au cottage!


I'm telling all about French bugnes at the following parties:

Linky Party        http://www.marthasfavorites.com/2013/12/a-new-years-blessing.html         Lavender Garden Cottage       

http://www.adelightsomelife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/home-and-garden-button.jpg      http://www.nancherrow.com/2014/01/welcome-back-to-the-fridays-unfolded-link-party.html        Rooted In Thyme             

http://makinmyaptahome.com/2014/01/meet-the-neighbors-link-party-1.html              

33 comments:

  1. We hear of so many parts of France suffering from the storms. I'm glad you managed to get to see your family, even if only for a short while. it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Belle et heureuse année... Chez ma grand-mère, on les appelle les tortisseaux!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Effectivement, je viens d'aller regarder les tortisseaux sur Internet, et cela ressemble comme deux gouttes d'eau aux bugnes! Bonne année!

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! Hope you have a fantastic one! Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, the next project should be the kitchen! Have a wonderful new year!

      Delete
  4. Love the story of the time at your grandmother's. I am glad you did manage to save part of your Christmas. In our house it is bad luck to have Christmas decorations up after December 31. Others around here celebrate the twelve days of Christmas until January 6. Then there are those who take down the outside lights in JULY!!! Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magali:
    My first view of Bugnes here! I love this post. Right before Christmas my computer crashed so I am only leaving messages from my small laptop. I hope to get my new computer up today but with the new Windows I don't know how hard it will be. Your visit to your Grandmother's looks lovely! Happy New Year and yes I am one who has really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Les bugnes sont excellentes... mais il y en a bientôt plus... et il faudra attendre un an avant d'en manger ! Et pour les faire, c'est trop de travail !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bugnes look yummy! The visit to your grandmother and your parents sounds lovely. The cake stand is so pretty, and I like the pattern on the floor.

    We celebrate Christmas until January 6 ,so our Christmas decorations are still up with one small change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi: I never get tried of Christmas. Yours is especially beautiful. Wishing you God's best this coming year. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  9. French bugnes look delicious.

    Wishing you a Wonderful 2014

    ReplyDelete
  10. Je te souhaite une excellente année 2014 qu'elle te soit douce et remplie de petits bonheurs
    Bisous . Tinou

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Magali, So happy to hear you had the sweetest Christmas! I love Christmas and never tire of stories and pictures. I certainly enjoy reading your story and the traditions of your family. The “bugnes” look so pretty with the sugar sprinkled over them, a perfect Christmas treat. I can almost taste them! I have enjoyed reading your blog posts about your lovely cottage. Look forward to hearing about your new adventures!

    All the best for a wonderful 2014!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Magali! Glad that you were able to spend time with family. I have a friend here who also keeps her Christmas decor up through the 6th--it's a nice tradition. And I love the sweets that you shared--yum! Today I'm actually taking down the Christmas decorations and doing simple, bright decorating for January :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Magali! The bugnes look delicious - I'm glad that you were able to salvage your holiday. Looking forward to seeing the pictures you "may" have taken, and following along with you in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I worked so hard decorating our home for Christmas. I too will wait until after January 6th to put them away. The wreath on the front door will have to go soon because it is shedding badly but that is the only thing I will put away. Enjoy your home, as will I.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Magali, I am still enjoying Christmas too. Your home looks lovely, and your little tea table sweet. I am sure those sugary treats are very tasty. That is a lovely bee dish you are using here too. I am so glad you have joined in the tea party this week. I love visiting you.
    Hugs and Happy New Year!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that you made it to your grandmothers. The sugar treats look wonderful and yummy. So glad that you had a wonderful Christmas.
    Happy New Year.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are those similar to beignets? They look yummy! And I always leave my Christmas stuff up until the Epiphany as well! Although, this year, I really didn't decorate, per se...

    Happy New Year Magali!!!

    xoxo
    -andi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you had a good Christmas! Happy New Year Magali! Looking forward to another wonderful year with you! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have this crazy Irish tradition...at least that is what my mother always said....where the tree has to come down before the 1st of January. She always announced that it was bad luck for us to have 2 trees in the same year.
    Truthfully I think it was her way of getting it down. She loved everything to be "neat and tidy"..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mille Vœux de Bonheur, Santé & Prospérité pour cette Nouvelle Année 2014. Je vois que décidément tu ne peux rien faire comme tout le monde, tu es une vraie aventurière.
    Plein de bises & de l'impatience à te lire dans tes aventures. Babette

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've had terrible storms here too and many people were without electricity for Christmas, I'm so glad you eventually made it to your grandmothers. I actually went on a canoeing trip to the Ardeche when I was at school, I loved it !
    Anyway, my decs will be up till Twelth Night as well Magali, although there's not much yummy stuff left to eat, just a bit of panettone.
    All the best for 2014 x

    ReplyDelete
  22. so happy you are still getting to enjoy the joy of Christmas well into the new Year I love my tree's all lit right up until Three Kings day

    ReplyDelete
  23. Christmas is still going on at my house in Texas. The bugnes look delicious.

    judith

    ReplyDelete
  24. Some years we keep our tree up 'til Jan 6th ...Three Kings Day. My husband and I were born in Cuba so that was the day we received gifts up until the age of six when we came to the US.
    Glad we met last year, Magali. Looking forward to more little white house updates.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Magali, My Dad was a big believer in keeping the decorations up until around the 6th too. Thank you for the close up photos of the bugnes that looks so good it is driving me mad. I have to also say how much I adore your dishes as I am a fan of dinnerware and tablescapes. Thanks so very much for stopping in and sharing at Meet The Neighbors. Happy New Year. p.s. our tree is still up yet too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, the bugnes bring back so many memories! There's something quite special about having something just once a year.glad you made it to your grandmothers and had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Magali, your post is quite lovely - family time at Christmas is so special and Iove that you keep your decorations up until the 12th night. Beautiful. I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  28. Magali, Thanks so much for sharing your family traditions at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I'll be featuring you this week at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy New Year!
    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete

It makes me so happy to read your comments! Let me know you stopped by!
J'adore lire vos commentaires. N'hésitez pas à vous joindre à cette discussion multi-lingue.